Monday, February 16, 2009

Tegan on Vancouver's Most Awesome


^ (click!)

Little introduction is needed for this half of the indie rock duo, Tegan and Sara. So, without further ado, I am proud to present you with V.I.A.’s latest Most Awesome, Miss Tegan Rain Quin!

What makes this city so awesome?
There is no way to say exactly in my opinion. I have lived in Vancouver 8 years and I still get butterflies when I drive into downtown. Each time I land at YVR and see the mountains and the neon green grass I feel lucky. The weather is much more moderate than most think. The people are friendly but not suffocating. It feels like a small town but also like a big city depending on which corner you’re standing on. It has the BEST food! The shopping is endless and no matter where you are you’re either looking at snowy mountains or the ocean!

Favourite Vancouverite?
Gabor Mate. I saw him speak last year and was very moved. My moms partner Mike leant me some of his books and I am currently being BLOWN away by “When the Body Says No”. They should make it mandatory reading in High School. He works at the Portland Hotel on the Vancouver East Side.

Favourite new band out of Vancouver?
The Good News (www.myspace.com/wearegoodnews). Incredible live show. Great songs. Currently making their 2nd record.

Favourite Vancouver band of all time?
SNFU.

What’s the most awesome restaurant in Vancouver?
Right now The Cascade is my favourite. (the best Mojito I have ever had by a long shot) I also love The Narrow which is on Main street as well. Great ambiance and the food is delicious. Of all time? I love Indian Flavor. Its Indian Food Fast. You can find it in City Center Mall and Tinsletown.

How many of your songs have been inspired by things/relationships that went down in this city?
4 records and counting…

Whens your “electronic side project” coming out? What can you tell us about it?
I have a side project with Hunter from AFI. We have been collaborating for 3 years now. The songs are not going to be released any time soon but we have chosen 3 to work on for the new Tegan and Sara record.

What’s your favourite venue to play here?
The Orpheum was fun. The Commodore is great!

Do you have a memory of a favourite show you’ve ever played here?
Recently we played with Broken Social Scene at The Orpheum which was really amazing. It felt like a milestone in our career. We did two shows at the Commodore last year which was huge for us too. Its nice to play to friends and family! My favourite show ever was with The Killers at The Vogue. They were just about to close it down and it felt really special that night being up on stage.

When’s your next local show?
We are currently on a break before we head to Victoria to rehearse the new songs with the band. Starting in May Sara and I will being recording our 6th studio album in Los Angeles! YIKES! We’re so old!!!


------------------------------------------
Link:
http://vancouverisawesome.com:80/?p=4794

No comments: